July 13, 2023
What Is Cosmetology?
People always say that you should work in your dream career, and those who work in cosmetology can often rightfully claim that this is exactly what they do. This is probably why there are more than 145,000 licensed cosmetologists in the United States alone. The field is growing, and there is plenty of buzz to go around. With that in mind, we want to take a look at the field of cosmetology and what you need to do to get involved with it.
What is Cosmetology?
Degreesandcareers.info offers this simple definition of what cosmetology is:
Cosmetology is the study and application of beauty treatments which include hairstyling, skincare, cosmetics, manicures/pedicures, and lots more.
Cosmetologists are in the business of making people feel amazing about themselves, while also creating incredible transformations in their physical appearance. Their dedication is driven by a heartfelt desire to bring joy and confidence to their clients, making them feel truly beautiful inside and out.
Services Offered by a Cosmetologist
There are a myriad of services that are offered by the average cosmetologist, including the following:
- Washing, shampooing, and cutting hair
- Coloring or tinting hair
- Braiding hair
- Shaving facial hair
- Fitting hairpieces
- Performing facial treatments
- Gel nails
This is not a comprehensive list of services provided by a cosmetologist, but it is a good place to start when thinking about the things that one will be responsible for when they sign up for this career field.
Required Training and Education to Work in Cosmetology
Each state is entitled to create its requirements to license someone as a cosmetologist. However, many states have certain minimum requirements, including:
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED
- Must complete a state-approved cosmetology program
- Pass the state-approved cosmetology licensing exam
- Maintain their license once it has been issued
These are the kinds of things that you can expect to have to get through to practice cosmetology. You must be prepared to prove yourself capable of handling the techniques and practices that will be requested of you by your customers.
About Our Cosmetology Program
At American Beauty Academy, we prioritize your success by providing our students with extensive clinic floor time. With small class sizes, we ensure that you receive the individual attention you deserve throughout your educational journey. Upon graduation, you can be fully equipped to thrive as a skilled cosmetologist.
Our comprehensive cosmetology program covers a wide range of disciplines, including hair, nails, and esthetics. We believe in offering a well-rounded education that prepares you for various opportunities in the industry. Here’s what you can expect to learn:
- Hair Styling
- Hair Coloring
- Permanent Waving
- Hair Relaxing
- Scissor Cutting for Men
- Wigs & Hair Extensions
- Manicures & Pedicures
- Nail Art
- Salon Management
- Safety & Sanitation
- And more!
Skills and Techniques in Cosmetology
There are many skills that one must master if they intend to become a sought-after cosmetologist. Setting yourself up to be the most successful cosmetologist means that you must be prepared to continue to work on yourself and improve your skills. These skills include:
- Creativity – Who wants to go to a cosmetologist who is bland and unimaginative? The answer is no one. That is why you need to be a creative individual to thrive in this industry. Not only should you be creative in terms of the services you offer, but also in terms of the ways that you market yourself to the public.
- Excellent Customer Service – People want to go to someone who is going to treat them well and perform every service that they require. Therefore, you should make sure you work on your people skills if you struggle with this.
- Time Management – It is almost always the case that someone that works in beauty services will schedule their appointments. This means that they must be able to manage their time very well. Keeping it all organized and booking a constant stream of appointments is incredibly important.
- Physical Fitness – You will be working on your feet all day when you are working in cosmetology. Therefore, you must maintain your physical fitness to some level. It will be a physically straining job at times, but it is worth it for the smile that you put on the face of your customers.
- Listening Skills – People want to go to a cosmetologist that offers them the chance to talk about what is going on in their life. Being prepared to listen to a lot of different stories from customers is part of your job.
These skills can serve you well in the field of cosmetology. Don’t overlook them, and make sure you practice them daily.
Career Opportunities in Cosmetology
Don’t let anyone tell you that there aren’t enough career opportunities in cosmetology. If anything, there are more and more opportunities popping up every day. Indeed.com offers the following recommendations for what you can do with experience in cosmetology:
- Beauty consultant
- Skin Specialist
- Nail technician
- Hair color specialist
- Product representative
This is just the tip of the iceberg. You can write your ticket when you get an education in the field of cosmetology.
Ready To Become A Cosmetologist?
If you’re ready to turn your dream into a passion, don’t hesitate to contact us! Let us work with you to show you how you can launch your career in cosmetology. We look forward to meeting you!